Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend Recap


I didn't make it into work on Monday so here was Friday's casual outfit.
Jacket, jeans, and shoes are all Target. The white top is Old Navy. I knotted the ties like a man's tie and let them hang low. I actually liked how it turned out in contrast with the black jacket.

The weekend was jammed packed, but it was a great weekend. First up was a 5K Houston Rodeo Run. I've done a couple of 5K's in the past, but I always walked them. I tried to run outside this week, but it was really tough on me and I was worried I wasn't going to be able to run the whole race. I am very happy to report that I was able to jog the entire thing. With my friend, Liberty, we paced ourselves and got through the 3 miles in 40 minutes. I was so overwhelmed with emotion in the end. I was always the girl who hated being outside and jogging. Who knew that the two together would bring me such joy. This definitely makes me strive to run outside more. Thanks again Liberty for being by my side and entertaining me throughout our run. Thank you Monica for pushing me on that treadmill and encouraging me to get out there. I also wanted to give shout out to Sheila, whose story is also very inspirational and one I keep in the back of my mind when I'm pushing myself to jog a little further.

Here I am (with no make-up) right before the run.

After the 5K, I had a sewing class. We were making the Amy Butler Birdie Sling. It's a big bag and I intended to use mine as a summer travel bag. I love how this bag turned out! It's a great size and I can see myself using it as my summer purse. I am still a beginner sewer so it was easy enough for me to do it, but it also taught me a few tricks (like pleats). I am now making one for my sister. Thank you Sarah for all your guidance! I love your classes!


Inside has one big pocket and two smaller, but deep pockets.


Last but not least, I made a cake for my nephew's 3rd birthday. He loves Thomas The Train so I went with that. I baked a 1/4 sheet cake and carved the "3". The trees are sugar cones that I iced leaves on. The rocks are chocolate covered (bought those). Of course the toy train was part of our birthday gift to him. Since I carved a lot of the cake out, I was worried we wouldn't have enough cake for all the kids and their parents, so I whipped up some lemon cupcakes and added Sponge Bob toppers on them (another of my nephew's favorites right now). I really liked how it turned out. I know my nephew and my sister loved it. Sending a big Happy Birthday to my nephew and dad!


Thanks for stopping by. I hope everyone has a fab day!

12 comments:

Amanda Allison said...

Congratulations on the 5k marathon. That's such an accomplishment! I wish to do that one day. I recently started running (something I've always hated until now) but now I've been set back since I sprained my ankle. Congrats, again. You must feel so proud of yourself!

And Friday's outfit is fabulous. I love the touch of color with the red shoe. I would totally wear an outfit like that!

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

Sounds like a good weekend.

That cake looks like it could undo all the good working out though.

Yum! xx

SHOEGAL said...

Love the cake! Do you call him Thomas the Train in the US? He's Thomas the Tank Engine in the UK.

Kendra Taylor said...

Wow that cake is amazing. I bet he loved it :) ~Kendra~

Anonymous said...

Aren't you a well rounded woman?! Stylish outfit, running, sewing and cake decorating! I am in awe!

Tabitha said...

Yay! Congrats on your 5K!!!!

Milly said...

very pretty bag....yummy cake :)

Legal Editor Mom said...

Congrats on the run! That is great and you're probably inspiring a lot of people who don't think they can do things like that...like me! ;-)

The bag is cute, too. I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.

Sheila said...

You look absolutely kick-ass in both pictures, Hillary! Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment! I'm so proud to have been inspiring such an amazing woman. :)

Hillary said...

Amanda and LEM- You can totally do it. It's all about baby steps. Amanda, just make sure that ankle is healed up and you'll get through a 5K in no time.

Shoegal - It's funny how the Thomas's name is slightly. Do y'all have Sponge Bob too?

Kendra, Kimberly, FT, and Milly - thanks so much for the sweet words. It was a lot going on, but I really enjoyed doing it all.

Sheila - thanks again for sharing your story.

KT said...

Congrats on the 5k!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hillary I love your blog! And I love the way your bag turned out - you are so good with picking out contrasting colors - and good Lord that Thomas the Train cake. So awesome!!