Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reader Question From Teri

Teri asks...

Hi Hillary ... I love your style, especially the skirts you make. What pattern is that and does it have a zipper? I'd like to try my hand at making one for myself. Thanks! Teri

Hi Teri! Thanks so much for reading my blog and your sweet words. Sorry it took a few days to answer your question... I just started sewing last December and I took a sewing class called "Sewing A Simple Skirt." We didn't use a store bought pattern. We were told to bring a skirt that fit us well to class. I chose a straight skirt. We made our own patterns out of paper grocery bags and in one afternoon I sewed the simple skirt (elastic waist, no zippers or darts). Since that class, I have made 2 other skirts (here and here). I also helped a couple of friends sew their skirts. I'll be testing the zipper waters very soon and hopefully they will turn out just fine.

Here is a link on how to sew a simple skirt. It's pretty much the same instructions I had in class. Or you can check out Jessica's blog at What I Wore. She is conducting an online sewing class. Her skirt has pleats, a zipper, and pockets. I'm also following along. Good luck Teri! If you sew a skirt, let me know. I would love to see it!



I will be back with my daily outfit tomorrow and a Bodybugg screenshot. I haven't been posting those in a while and need to get back on track... I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Kayleigh said...

I'm so glad you posted this, I am totally going to try it!

When I was in sixth grade all girls had to take sewing (yes, I am THAT old!) -- I made a pink corderoy skirt, with a zipper even, and it turned out great. Yet I never made another item of clothing again in my life.

So, I'm figuring that if I could do it at 11, I should be able to do it at 45, lol.

Great info -- you really are a craft goddess :)