Saturday, June 15, 2013

No Flour Power


When I was pregnant with Julia, I had gestational diabetes. I went to a nutritionist and we discussed the importance of protein to carb ratio.  Basicslly, I had to cut down my carb intake.  This was very difficult for me because I love bread.  Unfortunately bread doesn't love me, so I am always on the lookout for bread substitutes and new recipes to try.  This week I came across two great and easy peasy, no flour recipes.  

The first item I made is called Oopsie bread.  Apparently this recipe is popular with those on The Atkins Diet. I came across this recipie via FaceBook. Yes, it was one of the million recipes that get "shared" so the recipe saves in their photo albums. 

The first batch I made, I followed the FB recipe.  The bread was very light and airy. It had a very sponge like feel to it. Here's a picture of it.  
I liked it, but it was a little too spongy for me. So here is my tweaked version.

Oopsie Bread 
(Makes aprox 10 slices)
Ingredients:
4 eggs (separated)
1 tsp baking powder
4 oz cream cheese
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat your oven at 350.
Separate your eggs. In a large bowl, beat your egg whites and baking powder until you have stiff peaks (about 5 minutes or so).  Once that's done set aside.

In a blender (we used a hand blender), blend the remaining ingredients. The first time I made this, I used the mixer, but the blender really breaks down the cream cheese and makes nice smooth batter.  Here's my little helper blending the yolks and cream cheese while the egg whites whirl.

Now that it's blended, fold your yolks and cream cheese mixture into the egg whites. Folding can be time consuming, but its important to because if you over mix, you lose the nice air pockets and your bread will be flatter. Don't mix or stir, just fold.

Line your baking sheet with parchment. Even though I have my silpat pictured, I recommend parchment paper. It basically slides off the parchment paper when baked. Ladle about a 1/4 c batter on to the parchment.  It should be the size of a hamburger bun.  I was able to get 6 on my cookie sheet. 

Bake for 8 minutes at 350. They will turn a nice golden color and have cracks on top.

This version is still light and airy, but because I added the ground flax, it was less spongy and gave it more of a bread-like texture.  Here is a close up so you can see the texture.

This is a great bread substitute for sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs. Or you can just eat them plain.  This week I used them for breakfast sandwiches and a BLT (using oven baked turkey bacon and spinach).  Give it a try!

My second wonderful, easy peasy, no flour recipe is for banana pancakes.  My aunt sent me this recipe after she saw my Oopsie bread pictues posted on FB. Originally this was suppose to be a 2 ingredient recipe, but of course I tweaked it. Here is my version...

No Flour Banana Pancakes
(Makes aprox 6-8 small pancakes)
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 banana
1/2 tspn ground flax seeds
1/4 tsp vanilla
Dash of cinnamon
Pinch of salt


Throw all of the ingredients into a blender  and blend until smooth.  Set your pan or griddle to med/low and lightly spray with oil.  Pour a small amount of batter for each pancake.  This is a thin batter, so they will be thinner pancakes.  Since they're thin, it's best to make small pancakes (easier to flip). I can make 3 pancakes on my small pan, probably 5 on my large pan.  

Make sure the batter is mostly cooked before flipping over.

Here is how thin you can expect them to be.

In just a few minutes, you're done and you can enjoy these wonderful pancakes.
The sweetness of the banana makes this even great without syrup. And because they're small and packed with protein and potassium, they're great for an afternoon or after workout snack.  Enjoy!

No comments: