Saturday, June 8, 2013

Kale Chips! Betcha You Can't Just Have One

I

I stopped by my aunt's house for a quick visit.  Just as I arrived, a fresh batch of kale chips were coming out of the oven. I grabbed a couple and they were oh so good! I've had kale chips before, but these had a nice nutty and spicy taste to them. So I got her recipe and headed to the store for some kale. Here's her recipe...

You need:
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/4 tsp sea salt (I had Himalayan sea salt on hand, but regular sea salt is fine)
1 tbsp salt free seasoning of your choice. (I used Mrs Dash extra spicy for the adults and the garlic and herb for Cora's batch)
1 bunch of Dino Lacinato kale (the flat kind)
Spray olive oil


Preheat your oven at 350.
Mix your dry spices together and set aside.

Then
Make sure you wash your leaves well. Especially with organic kale, you may little bugs on the leaves and near the ribs.

Next dry your leaves the best you can. I find that a salad spinner works best.

The next few steps are done on small batches.
Toss a handful of leaves in a bowl and lightly spray with olive oil. 
Once your leaves are evenly coated, sprinkle your seasoning. Just a light sprinkle should do.

Place leaves on parchment paper. Don't overcrowd your baking sheet or your chips won't crisp easily.


Bake for only 8 minutes at 350 and they're done! 

It was hard to get a picture of the full batch because we were munching on these right as they were coming out of the oven.

I hope you enjoy. Betcha can't eat just one!

No comments: